It’s the simple things in life. Reading a book outside in the warm weather. Sippin’ cocoa by the fire. Dipping sweet potato fries in my Good-on-Everything Green Sauce. Livin’ for it.
This is a simple recipe. Simple, yet impactful. It took me a while to nail sweet potato fries. They are tricky little buggers. But, I’ve learned a few tricks along this long and winding road that have helped me up my SPG (Sweet Potato Game). Let me tell you what they are:
Trick #1 – Cornstarch. Dredge these fries with it to help with the crispy-factor. I use this trick with more than just potatoes, too. I ALWAYS sprinkle my tofu with cornstarch before frying it. It’s a surefire way to get that perfect texture on the exterior, and it’s gluten-free!
Trick #2 – Place your baking sheet into a hot oven for five minutes before dumping the SPF (Sweet Potato Fries) on it. When they hit the pan, they automatically start cooking and developing that gorg brown colour. It’s kind of like preheating a pan on your stovetop!
Trick #3 – Space out your SPFs. If you load a pan with too many fries, they won’t have room to crisp up, and will steam instead. Let them socially distance. It’s for the best.
Well, now that I’ve given you all of my tricks, I only have one other thing to say – Dip these babies in my 5-Minute Good-on-Everything Green Sauce. Nothing else compares. Picture crispy sweet ‘tates dunkin’ in a pool of thick and creamy and greeny and herby and…freshy (?) sauce. And, then you eat them. Like, what?! A marriage of two extraordinary foods and memories that will last a lifetime.
If you make these SPF with my 5MGOETGS, take a pic and tag me on Instagram (@nevernoteatingca). I love seeing people make my recipes!
Also, if you understood that last paragraph, I applaud you.
Sweet Potato Fries
Serving size: 2
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into long, 1/4 inch matchstick slices and patted dry
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- pinch of fresh black pepper
- olive oil
- sea salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a large baking sheet into the oven while it preheats.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, paprika, salt, cayenne and pepper.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large bowl and sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over them. Use your hands to toss the potatoes and dry ingredients together until coated.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from oven and place sweet potato fries onto it. Be sure to space them out. Lightly drizzle some olive oil over the fries to help them crisp up.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip and return to oven for another 5-8 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Finish with some flaky sea salt and serve with my 5-Minute Good-on-Everything Green Sauce.