If someone were to ask me to choose between coffee and chocolate I just couldn’t do it. Those are my absolute two favourite things on the planet, so let’s put them together and plop it on a cake. Sound good?
This recipe has the word “vegan” in front of it, but if you aren’t vegan or prefer to use dairy-based products, you can make 1:1 swaps at any point!
I love how simple, yet different this recipe is. If you are looking for a change from your normal chocolate and vanilla frostings, this is IT. Trust me, it’s so good.
Here is what you will need:
Use a stand mixer to bring all of the ingredients together and you will have a light, fluffy, perfect buttercream. It’s great for frosting cakes or cupcakes with. I love it on a rich chocolate cake!
Check out that swirly swirl!
This post contains affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when purchases are made after clicking the links, at no cost to you. Thank you!
Vegan Mocha Buttercream
Servings: Makes about 4 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening*
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened**
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-3 tbsp plant-based milk (I prefer oat milk, but you can use almond, cashew, coconut or soy)
- Stir the instant coffee together with three tablespoons of boiling water until dissolved. Set aside.
- Add the shortening and vegan butter to a stand mixer and mix with paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, salt and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Add one cup of powdered sugar and turn the mixer on low. Pour in about half of the coffee and mix until incorporated. Add another cup of powdered sugar, followed by the rest of the coffee and continue mixing. Add the third cup of powdered sugar, followed by one tablespoon of the milk. Finally, incorporate the last cup of sugar and another tablespoon of milk, if needed. Beat until smooth and you have achieved your desired consistency. If the buttercream is too stiff, add the remaining tablespoon of milk and beat to incorporate.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*You can use all shortening if you do not have vegan butter.
**This can be substituted for regular, softened butter if desired.