There was one time in my life when I hated mushrooms. Can you even believe that? What was I thinking.
Now I love those little fungi so much. That’s why I had to dedicate this pasta to them – to say I’m sorry for a lifetime of neglect, and it won’t happen again.
One thing I never neglected – Rigatoni. Isn’t it such a great pasta choice? Those sweet little grooves that hold all the sauce? Yes, please! I love using spelt pasta, but any pasta works for this recipe. Make sure you cook it to al dente, as it will continue to cook once added to that creamy mushroom sauce!
The sauce – Simple, yet delicious. Creamy, but vegan. This easy-to-make sauce requires only a few ingredients:
- white wine
- coconut milk
- vegan butter
Start by adding the mushrooms to some olive oil and salt in a pan. Cook them down and caramelize them up! Next, add in the garlic, thyme and white wine. Cook until you cannot smell the alcohol anymore and then add the stock and milk. Let simmer until it thickens up, and transfer the pasta into the sauce to finish cooking. Finally, add in some of the pasta water to bring everything together and you got yourself some mushroom pasta!
Let’s all show our love to mushrooms!
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Rigatoni
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 200 g rigatoni
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, in heavily salted boiling water. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a large saucepan over medium-low heat. When the oil begins to move easily in the pan, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and thyme to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the alcohol smell is gone. Pour in the vegetable stock, stir, and follow with the coconut milk. Let the sauce simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Finish with the butter and some cracks of fresh black pepper.
- Transfer the pasta into the pan, pour in the reserved pasta water, and mix to coat with the sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Enjoy!