What’s better than tomato soup and grilled cheese when the weather starts to get chilly?! Here’s a hint: It starts with “n” and ends with “othing.”
Tomato season is over where I am from, but soup season is just beginning, so I had to grab one more batch of fresh tomatoes to use to make this soup. It’s creamy and smooth and delicious. It’s just a warm, comforting classic.
My favourite part of this soup recipe is the roasted tomatoes. Roasting them just brings out a whole new flavour and caramelization that is always wanted. My second favourite part is the coconut milk, cuz that shizz creamy.
Here is what you will need for this super easy recipe:
- Dried basil
- Vegetable stock
- Canned coconut milk
- Bread slices
- A melting cheese, such as mozzarella
- A flavourful cheese, such as a sharp cheddar or gouda
I use my Simple Living Soup Maker to make this recipe. If you are a soupie, like me, you may want to invest in one. It’s my favourite way to make a post-work dinner. Soups are done in 30 minutes and it also makes smoothies, beverages, juices and batters. For this soup, I just throw everything in the soup maker after the roasting is done, turn it on and go watch Schitt’s Creek. The soup will be ready at the end of the episode. Also works with Friends, Sex and the City and The Big Bang Theory.
Who’s ready to get their slurp on?!
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Crouton Skewers
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into 1-inch wedges (I use vine tomatoes)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- olive oil
- 8 slices of bread (I like sourdough)
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (or butter)
- 200 g cheese, shredded (I like to use a combination of mozzarella and cheddar)
- Fresh black pepper (for topping), optional
- Fresh basil (for topping), optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place tomatoes on a large baking sheet, drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with a few generous pinches of salt. Toss to coat and roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and place the onion and garlic onto the baking sheet and toss again. Roast for another 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion to your soup maker along with the basil, vegetable stock and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Place the lid on and set to “smooth.” Press “on.” Alternatively, place the tomatoes, garlic and onion into a large pot with the basil, vegetable stock and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, make the grilled cheese. Set a large pan over medium heat. Spread the mayo onto one side of each of the slices of bread. Build your sandwiches – bread (mayo side out), cheese, bread (mayo side out). Set your sandwich into the preheated pan and cook until golden brown on the first side, flip and repeat. Remove from pan and slice each sandwich into 8 crouton-sized cubes. Slide a skewer through the middle of each crouton. One sandwich will make two skewers with 4 croutons on each.
- (Skip to step 6 if using a soup maker) When the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, use an immersion blender to puree it. Alternatively, you can carefully pour it into a blender and blend until smooth, returning back to pot when done.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Taste and season accordingly. Ladle into four bowls and top each with two of the grilled cheese skewers, fresh black pepper and fresh basil, if desired.