I made it four days into September before bustin’ out the fall flavours and the ever-so-basic PSL. You’re welcome.
So, why would anyone pay $6.00 for a beverage from Starbucks when you can make it for way cheaper at home? You also know everything going into it when you make it yourself, and I’ll tell you what isn’t going into it – four pumps of pure sugar.
Here is what you will need to make this bevvy yourself:
- Espresso or strong coffee
- Plant-based milk (I love cashew milk)
- Pure pumpkin puree (homemade or canned)
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Pure vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice (homemade or store-bought)
To make your drink more latte-ish, frothing the milk is essential. One of my favourite kitchen tools is this handheld milk frother that I purchased from amazon. It is super cheap and works so, so well. I use it every day. I highly recommend investing in a frother if you are looking to save money by creating your own coffee-based beverages.
Pumpkin pie spice can be found for purchase at most grocery stores, or online here. You can also make it yourself by combining cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and some cardamom. If you don’t often use many of these spices, I would recommend just buying it as you will have an abundance of leftovers that will just be taking up room in your pantry.
To put this yummy drink together, you first want to get your coffee ready. Brew 1-2 shots of espresso, depending on preference, in your espresso maker. Alternatively, you can use regular coffee instead. Next, combine your milk with all of the other ingredients, steam and then froth it up. Pour over espresso and top with an extra sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice and you got yourself a PSL.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I use cashew milk)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1-2 shots of espresso (or 1/3 cup strong coffee)
- Add the milk, pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla and spice to a small pot over medium heat and whisk. When the milk begins to steam, use a milk frother for 20 seconds or until foamy.
- While the milk is steaming, brew the espresso or coffee.
- Pour the espresso into a tall mug and top with the frothed milk. Add a sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice on top, if that’s your jam.