Do you ever get emotional when you think of in-season produce? Like, can this Earth BE any more perfect? How brilliant is it that the planet has different growing seasons for different fruits and vegetables?! That way, we have the opportunity to diversify our diet and the chance to miss the bounties of each season as those of others are upon us, whereas if it were the same all year round…how boring would that be?! And although I’m pumped for the squash, apples and pumpkins that will be harvested soon, I’m still in awe of this summer’s cherry, tomato and peach crops. Thank you, Mother Nature.
Alright, I’m taking full advantage of the local produce, here in Southern Ontario. We have amazing peaches during the summer months and I’m using them today to make this caramelized peach oatmeal. Typically, I don’t eat oatmeal very often, but when I do, it needs to be topped with nuts, fruit and maple syrup. Otherwise, I won’t eat it.
So today, I bring to you, my Caramelized Peach and Pecan Oatmeal. Creamy, spiced oatmeal with soft, tender peaches and sticky maple pecans. YUM.
Let’s talk oatmeal. Because I don’t drink cow’s milk, I always make my oatmeal with plant-based milk. You can check out my Homemade Cashew milk, here. This is a really great milk choice for this recipe as it is creamy and flavoured with vanilla. Otherwise, you can use almond milk, soy, oat, or even water. Whatever you have on hand!
The best part of this recipe would have to be the toppings. Peaches and pecans are a match made in heaven. I have even seen whiskey with these two flavours infused…YUM. The peaches become soft and fork-tender when cooked down with maple syrup, some lemon juice and a pinch of salt. You could easily just eat these themselves.
Pecans are delicious naturally, but when coated in the sticky syrup, they are even better. Not to mention all of the benefits you get from eating pecans – good fats, tons of fibre, magnesium, iron and protein. Tree nuts are a vegans dream food.
Finally, I always like to top my oatmeal off with (yet another) drizzle of pure Canadian maple syrup and a pinch of cinnamon.
This one’s for you, oatmeal lovers!
Caramelized Peach and Pecan Oatmeal
Serving size: 1
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 5-8 minutes
- 2/3 cup plant-based milk (check out my homemade cashew milk, here)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, divided
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 peach, sliced into wedges
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp butter or oil of choice
- 1/4 cup raw pecans
- Add milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of salt to a small pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and add the oats. Stir, bring back up to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until oats have absorbed most of the liquid and mixture has thickened.
- To a small bowl, toss the peach slices with the lemon juice, a pinch of salt, the remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg and the maple syrup.
- Add the butter or oil to a medium pan (or cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. When butter is hot, add in the peach slices. Cook for 3 minutes and then add the pecans. Finish cooking when the slices are fork-tender, stirring occasionally, another 2-4 minutes.
- Scoop oatmeal into a bowl and top with the caramelized peaches and pecans. Top with extra maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon if desired.