Do you remember a few years ago when the “Cauliflower Soup Diet” was a thing? I feel like it was a thing. Either way, this cauliflower soup is healthy and you can eat it every day, if you want to!
I used my Simple Living Soup Maker to make this soup. If you haven’t heard of Simple Living and their products, you need to check them out! I love my soup maker – It makes dinners easy – heating, blending and cooking soups in 30 minutes! Their soup maker can also be used to make smoothies and alcoholic beverages…My fav! Not to mention it is so quick to clean and easy to store. The BEST.
Let’s talk ingredients. Here is what you will need to make this flavourful soup:
- a yellow or white potato
- yellow onion
- dried/fresh sage
- vegetable broth
Everything goes into your Soup Maker and it gets set to “Smooth,” and then turned on. Half an hour later, the soup is hot, creamy and ready to serve.
While the soup is cooking, I like to fry some fresh sage leaves to put on top. These are GOLD. All you have to do is add them to a hot pan with a thin layer of oil and fry until crispy! This only takes a minute or two. Drain them on some paper towels and when the soup is done, sprinkle them on top. So good!
This recipe is the perfect, healthy, post-work meal that will feed a family of four. It’s great for those long days at work, when you come home and need something quick to whip up. The Soup Maker makes it even more practical – I will never make soup in anything else again!
Easy Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- one small head of cauliflower, cleaned and broken into florets
- one medium yellow or white potato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic (minced, if cooking stovetop)
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 3 cups of vegetable broth (plus 1/2 cup if cooking stovetop)
- olive oil
Soup Maker steps:
- Put all ingredients into your soup maker. Feel free to add more broth right up to the MAX line. Secure the lid and set to “Smooth.” Press “ON.” Once the soup is done, check the seasoning and add more salt/pepper if desired. Pour into bowls and drizzle with a splash of olive oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil has warmed, add your onion and let cook, stirring occasionally, until soft – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir frequently, cooking until fragrant – about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the cauliflower, potatoes, sage, salt and pepper to the pot. Pour in the vegetable broth and stir to combine. Bring up to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once the soup is done and all vegetables are tender, blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternatively, you can very carefully pour the soup into a blender, blend until smooth and then return to the pot. At this point, taste the soup and adjust salt and pepper accordingly. Serve immediately or store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I like to top this soup with crispy sage leaves and hemp hearts. To fry fresh sage leaves, coat the bottom of a small pan with a thin layer of oil. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and when the oil is hot, drop the sage leaves in. They should sizzle immediately. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until crispy. Drain on paper towels before serving on top of the soup.