Here is the perfect plant-based side dish for this year’s lonely Easter dinner. It is perfect because:
- You can (and should) make it the day before
- It is 100% vegan
- It tastes like traditional mayo-based potato salad, but healthier
- It’s a smaller batch (you should be social distancing!)
I love potatoes of all kinds, yet I find that I only ever buy sweet potatoes. And guess what, guys?! They are better for you, so swap them for those starchy white potatoes and let’s make a salad.
Okay, we all know the good part of a potato salad is the creamy, rich dressing, which comes from mayo, which is not vegan. So I wanted to find a way to recreate that creaminess, but using fully plant-based ingredients. Enter: Tahini – the love of my life. Yes, it seems a bit odd…I know, but trust me! It tastes very similar to the typical potato salad dressing, yet it has a ton of protein, fibre and healthy vitamins! It’s a gosh darn win if you ask me.
The dressing is made up of tahini, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and cold water. Whisk it all up and pop it in your fridge to let the flavours get to know one another.
For the rest, chop up two large sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Boil them for about 10 minutes – it is important not to over-boil as they will become mushy and will lose all integrity. Might I say, until they are “al dente.” When you strain them from the boiling water, immediately pop them into an ice bath to stop the cooking and then lay them out onto a clean tea towel to completely cool and dry.
To a bowl, add your other ingredients. Golden raisins – these are optional, but they honestly make the dish. They add the greatest pop of joy to this salad. So, DO IT. Finely chopped shallots (or red onion) and celery also go into the bowl. Dump in your potatoes, and drizzle over the dressing. Very carefully toss until everything is coated and then add some fresh chives on top. Test to make sure the seasoning is right and then cover and pop in the fridge for at least an hour. It is honestly a million times better the next day though.
Happy Easter, everyone. Stay tuned for more vegan options coming at yah soon!
Make-Ahead Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
Servings: 3-4 (as a side)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- cold water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional, but the best)
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced in half lengthwise then chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely diced (you can substitute for red onion)
- 3 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- pomegranate seed, for topping (optional)
- Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water and boil for about 10 minutes, or until just cooked. Do not over-boil or potatoes will be too mushy and not hold their shape. Drain the potatoes into a sieve and then place the sieve in a bowl full of ice and water for a minute to stop the cooking. Transfer the potatoes to a clean tea towel to dry and cool completely.
- While the potatoes are cooling, make your dressing. To a small bowl, add tahini, lemon juice, dijon mustard, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix together and then add the cold water, one teaspoon at a time until you have achieved your desired consistency. I usually use about two tablespoons or so altogether.
- To a large bowl, add the potatoes, raisins, celery and shallot. Pour the dressing overtop and carefully mix together until everything is well coated. Cover and put in the fridge for at least one hour (preferably overnight).
- Top with chives and pomegranate seeds before serving.